Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Garden

I was pretty sure that I had procrastinated WAY too long and my dreams of a winter garden were dashed. I tried to suck it up and realize that I have just been so busy with daily life, Monkey Man's school, the chores, the obligations outside of the home. I was trying to psych myself out with the old "sour grapes" attitude. Hell, I didn't really want a damn garden right now anyway!

That was about as far from the truth as you could get. It was killing me that I had wasted time and screwed up and I wouldn't be able to attempt a winter garden. All that wasted space, sitting there empty, except for maybe some weeds! I was pissed at myself big time! And then Tim, sweet Tim, owner of the Green 'n Growin' Nursery in Pflugerville (which if you're local, I HIGHLY recommend) set me straight. I went to find some plants to use for a science co-op experiment and ended up leaving with a big smile on my face! Tim brought down his handy dandy little "Planting Guide for Central Texas" and lo and behold, after Jan. 15th, you can plant all sorts of things! My mind was wild with possibilities!

I went back that weekend, stocked up on compost and plants and seeds and proceeded to go home and work the shit out of those beds! Who needs a workout DVD when you've got a shovel, a hoe and a rake and two good sized beds to work! I dug and turned and patted and added compost and dug and turned and patted until I damn near collapsed! But it felt SO good to be out in the mild weather, enjoying the sunshine and working toward a goal, a goal of fresh, wonderful food!

Once the beds were prepped, I sent for the Monkey Man and he and I transplanted broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach plants, we tucked many onion bulbs in and planted carrots, spinach and lettuce seed. He was happy digging in the dirt, I was happy digging in the dirt, the Piggy was happy watching us dig in the dirt while she jumped on the trampoline, it was a beautiful thing! So now, I feel at peace again. I know I bitch about gardening, I know it drives me crazy, but in my defense, it was pretty stinkin' ironic that I decided to plant my first vegetable garden smack dab in the middle of the biggest drought since 1916! But you can't say I'm a quitter, cause here I am, making a go at a winter garden, still in a drought! But all that matters is we're trying. And we have high hopes of being able to harvest luscious, pesticide-free veggies from our own backyard! Can I get a hallelujah!

Bed One: Spinach, onions, lettuce and carrots


Bed Two: Broccoli, cauliflower and onions (spaced more closely so I can harvest them as green onions)

No comments: