Monday, January 26, 2009

A special birthday dinner!


I have to admit, my birthday was very mellow, but overall, very enjoyable! Big Daddy offered to make french toast for breakfast, which was very tasty! Then we lounged around and watched Rocky movies, they must have been having a marathon, and I was done after Rocky II. I blogged and farted around on the computer and just did a whole lot of nothing until after lunch. Once the Piggy was down for a nap I ran a couple of errands, the most pertinent being the waxing of the eyebrows! I felt I owed it to myself to get those bad boys dealt with as I was to a point that plucking was sheer torture! So I sucked it up and paid the $15 and now I have beautiful shapely brows again, hooray! Then it was home to get dressed for a nice dinner out!

I chose a place called Habana. They have two locations, one on 6th St. and one on S. Congress (next to The Great Outdoors), we chose the south location, parking is ALOT easier! We were amazed when we arrived at how few people were there, not so great for the restaurant, but great for us! Habana has an amazing assortment of traditional Cuban food (or at least so I'm told as I've not been to Cuba, so really, how the hell would I know?). They are also known for a drink, called the Comandante, which is Gold Rum, infused for 2 weeks with fresh pineapple (cue Homer Simpson drooling with droopy eyes). A drink so tasty, yet so powerful they have a limit of 2 per patron! Needless to say, I started out with one of those! I hear they also make amazing mojitos, but I'm not a big fan of mint, so there you have it. For our entrees, Big Daddy and I both opted for the Bistec de Pollo Empanizada, which is a chicken breast that they beat until it's flat as a pancake, breaded in Cuban cracker meal and done kind of like a chicken-fried chicken, however it isn't hardly greasy and the chicken is SO tender. We got ours with the Congris, which is a white rice with black beans, and pineapple salsa! Tender... juicy... sweet... and spicy, hot chicken with cold pineapple, enough to make your taste buds stand up and salute! It's ALOT of food, but plenty to take home for leftovers! The Monkey Man chose empanadas, he had 3 choices, beef, 3-cheese, or spinach and mushroom. He pondered and considered the spinach, but in the end stated, "What can I say, I'm a meat boy!" and he chose the beef!

The kids split the empanada and Big Daddy and I shared our ENORMOUS pieces of chicken and everyone ate with wild abandon! Then the time came... dessert! In all honesty, dessert is why I chose this specific restaurant. They have the most luscious, decadent Tres Leches Cake that has ever graced my mouth! And the pieces are huge! One piece was plenty to satiate all four of us! Such a heavy cake, all weighted down with cream and milk and topped with a light, fluffy, creamy icing, dusted lightly with cinnamon! (Once again, cue Homer Simpson drooling!) It is really on the verge of being so completely sinful that I should blush just thinking about it! And as if that weren't enough, since it was my birthday, the cake was on the house! I LOVE this place!

So... it was a wonderful meal, spent with my awesome little family and I really couldn't have asked for anything nicer. Now, as for you all, if you are in the mood for something different and are feeling a bit adventurous, you should really try this place. The food is awesome, the drinks are great, totally kid friendly, warm and helpful staff, they have vegetarian offerings and it's a family-owned Austin business, always good to support the locals!

No comments: