Saturday, January 24, 2009

What's on the Menu? Comfort Food

I LOVE to cook, then again, I'm sure most of you know that. And several folks have requested that I bring back a particular group of posts called "What's on the Menu?" I've been pretty lax with it lately, but here goes!

I was feeling incredibly ambitious the other day and decided to make brisket with all the fixin's. I marinated the meat for a couple of days, then set the oven on 225* on the third morning and plopped that sucker in to slow cook for the entire day. To accompany such a lovely slab of beef, I decided to make a fresh pot of pinto beans and a green chile corn puddin'. For those of you from the south, you're like "Oh yeah!" for those of you from up north or abroad you're probably cringing! I made a nice pitcher of iced tea and there you have it... juicy beef, tender, flavorful beans, a luscious, slightly spicy corn dish served with an ice-cold glass of tea, the ultimate comfort food dinner! I wish you could scratch-n-sniff the photo so you could get a whiff of that fantastic aroma!



For those of you that might be interested in trying a corn puddin', here's the recipe:

Corn Puddin'

1 can cream corn
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup vegetable oil
green chiles (amount depends on how spicy you want it)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 eggs well beaten

Mix first 9 ingredients together, then add the beaten eggs last. Mix thoroughly. Pour into a 1-quart baking dish and cook in 350* oven for at least 45 min. or until you can poke a toothpick in and it comes out clean. It should be alot more moist than cornbread, but not wet and gooey.

No comments: