Friday, January 02, 2009

Out with the old... In with the new!

Goodbye to 2008 and hello to 2009! Where DID the time go? As I do every year, I spend the first day or so of the new year reflecting upon the past year. What was accomplished, what was not, what was joyous, what was hard and what would I like to accomplish in the next year. Those of you that know me, know I don't do resolutions. Resolutions SUCK! To me, resolutions are nothing more than a way to set myself up for failure so I can beat myself up about it next year. What's the point? I have goals. Some of these goals will come to fruition, others will just get a kick start, but that is better than nothing. After all, a year is only a year, and no matter how hard you try, there are some things that just can't be accomplished in 365 days!

So, what did Trina accomplish this year? Well let's see...

1. I yet again managed to bring 2 children one year closer to adulthood without strangling them or selling them on the black market.
2. I successfully homeschooled my son another year, EVEN with a toddler in the house!
3. I skipped out on my 20 year high school reunion and took that trip I promised myself with my husband! One week in Cozumel and I can't tell you how much that boosted my morale and strengthened our marriage! I love my kids, but sometimes Mommy and Daddy need some time to rediscover what we had BEFORE children came along, to have conversations that don't include words like "poop", "potty", "farting" or "Lego Deathstar Destroyers", and to revel in the silence, enjoying one another's quiet presence. You can bet I'm going to make this a yearly goal, whether it's a long weekend or a full week, that kind of time together is priceless!
4. I planted a garden! I was entirely successful in raising herbs, tomatoes, cantaloupe and jalapenos, but bell peppers and squash were lessons in futility! Maybe I'll have better luck this year! There was something more fulfilling than you can imagine, going into the garden and harvesting tomatoes with the kids, watching them eat the fruit right off the vine and using that days harvest in our dinner. I hope to add more beds this winter so I can expand the garden and have higher yields. Growing your own food is not only good for your body, but good for your soul!
5. I finally got my big, badass tattoo! A memorial for two little babies that never made it into this world, and a tribute to the two amazing kids that did! Now I have a daily reminder to never forget the two that I lost, but also never forget how lucky I am to have the two that came!
6. I celebrated 14 years of marriage! That's a pretty big number and I find it immensely satisfying that after 14 years, I still love him, still respect him, still think he's the best father ever and still want to spend the rest of my life with him. Pretty damn cool!
7. I'm finally feeling comfortable with where I am and what I'm doing. I have found amazing friends in an amazing community of women and I feel much more grounded, much more supported and much more loved. Finding a solid network of great women is something I have been striving to find for years, and now that I have it, life is much more enjoyable!

So... although I still don't have baseboards or a finished kitchen, I still have a wonky fence and I still don't take enough time for myself, I did accomplish some great things this past year! And maybe, just maybe, 2009 is the Year of Baseboards!

Now on to my goals...

1. Keep on keepin' on! Try to live in the moment and quit worrying so much about the future. After all, the future just puts me one step closer to dyin', right?!
2. Expand my garden! My garden frustrates me and elates me all at the same time, but there is just something about having my hands in the dirt and smelling the scent of tomato vines that gives me a sense that I am truly a part of the natural world and not just some tech junkie that spends too much time on the computer!
3. Spend less time on the computer! I won't give up my blogging, but Facebook and Myspace, your time will be limited!
4. Make more of an effort to call and see friends! Email is nice, but there is nothing like visiting in person!
5. Spend MUCH more time outdoors, whether hiking, camping or gardening. I spent entirely too much time indoors last year and it has made me feel disconnected and weak!
6. To work on some ideas I have to make natural, affordable toys. It makes me crazy that toys that are good for the environment and stimulating for children that are NOT made in China cost too much for the average person to afford them! But that is another tangent I should save for another entry!
7. Last, but not least, be a good human! Work toward lowering my footprint on the planet, work toward raising children that are open-minded and respectful, that want to make a difference in the lives of others and the environment. Our future rests in their hands, so this is one of those on-going goals and the greatest labor of my life! My children will ultimately be my greatest contribution to the planet so I've got to get this one right!

I am looking forward to a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year! And I'm not talking about monetary prosperity (although a little of that might be nice), I'm talking about the kind of prosperity that comes from the joy of watching children grow and learn, the connection, the passion and the safety felt with a lifelong partner, and the love and loyalty of a good 'ol dog! It's all about the everyday triumphs and the little things that cause great joy. Sometimes you have to look for them, but they're always there, whether it's the smell of a freshly bathed baby, the uninhibited giggles of silly children, the fleeting morning kiss from the spouse leaving for work, the little red tomato picked right off the vine or the smell of fresh baked cookies and the eager anticipation of children wanting to eat those cookies. It's truly the little things that make each day awesome, which in turn makes each week amazing, which leads to great months and phenomenal years! I hope each of you experience everyday joys in your lives and have a happy and prosperous New Year as well!

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

whoa, you are way more organised than me. I haven't got any real goals this year.

I did want to get to Vegas for the Amazing meeting but it will cost 3500 AUD to get their, so I will make it to the skeptics conference in australia instead