Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Saturday of Sloth

And no, I'm not talking about the 3-toed variety that hangs in trees in South America. I'm talking laziness, idleness, apathy... one of the seven deadly sins. It's funny, I was speaking of this very subject not more than a few days ago with one of my wise and witty friends. Why is it, that we moms have such a hard time letting go? As much as I try to sit on my ass on a Saturday afternoon, I just can't! It drives me CRAZY! I'll sit for a few minutes, browsing or Facebooking, but then I have to get up and do the dishes. I can sit on the couch for a few minutes watching HGTV with Big Daddy, but then I become overwhelmed and I have to get up to straighten the living room or fold laundry or help the kids clean their rooms. Yet, for some strange reason the hubbies have no problem with this. They are happy to lay on the couch and relax, content that they have done sufficient work for the week, taking time to re-cupe and rest for the coming week. I nag and try to get him up to help me with the chores, and he nags me to sit down and relax! I wish I could! But it just feels wrong! Maybe it's just some weird female thing, I cannot sit still for more than a few minutes when I know there is shit to be done. And there is NEVER a time that there is nothing to do. I also have this firm belief that there will be plenty of time to rest and relax when I'm dead! Aaargh... can you see my neuroses???

Well, much to my elation and subsequent shame, I spent the entire day yesterday doing NOT A FREAKIN' THING!!! Yes, you heard right. From 9am until dinnertime, I did nothing. There were books scattered all over the front room, I closed my eyes and walked away. There were toys all over the living room, I stepped over them as if they weren't there. The dishes were piled up in the sink and all over the counter, I put a dishtowel over the top *POOF* they were gone! I sat on the couch with Big Daddy and watched stupid movies, I read a little bit, and after lunch, I took my little Piggy upstairs, crawled into my nice warm bed and napped for 2 1/2 hours! After that, I became active long enough to make dinner and do dishes, then I ran a hot bath, shut the door and read until the bath got cold! I let my kids stay up WAY too late, until they both were damn near passing out from sheer exhaustion, got them settled, climbed into my own bed and proceeded to saw logs in short order!

So, I hope my friend reads this and is proud of me! It took ALOT of effort to just ignore the filth, but I did. I don't expect I'll be doing that again anytime soon. I never really felt relaxed, I just felt lazy. Ain't that a bitch? Maybe I need to find some testosterone so I can embrace or at least enhance my inner sloth!

2 comments:

Laura's Lines said...

It's a start. Now to work on inner guilt. It doesn't really exist unless you want it to, ya' know?

Little Mama said...

Yeah, it sucks, even after 7 years of this arrangement, I still feel like I have to make up for not bringing in an income! Sheer lunacy, I know, but still.