Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's all fun and games until the 6 y.o. loses!


Monkey Man got loads of new games for Christmas, really fun ones like MouseTrap, Cranium Kids and Operation! One of the things I promised myself this year was to have one night a week for "Family Night", no TV, no chores, just family. We can have a game night, play Putt-Putt, go to a movie, go on a hike, find volunteer work, I don't care just so long as we are all together and doing something besides wasting brain cells and precious time in front of the television! We decided to do a game night last night, so I bathed the Piggle Wiggle and got her ready for bed, then I came down to have fun with Big Daddy and the Monkey Man! I felt a little bad that Piggy wasn't included, but she had a rough day and was REALLY cranky and tired. Anyway, Monkey Man chose MouseTrap. I had to read all the directions as I've forgotten over the years how to play, but we got everything figured out and started. It was fun. We laughed. I was the first to get my mouse "trapped" and there was much giggling and finger-pointing at my expense. But I laughed and proceeded to watch Big Daddy work his mojo. Before we knew it, Monkey Man's mouse was trapped and the game was over. I started clearing the board for another go, when I noticed it...

The Look.

Eyes slightly glistening, cheeks sucked in, lips quivering and I realized that my 6 year-old was about to lose it! I asked him what was wrong. He said he didn't want to lose, he didn't like it. I explained to him that in every game there are winners and there are losers and generally speaking, only one person can win. Then his father explained that the true measure wasn't winning or losing but being a good sport and playing the game well. I also explained that no one likes to play with a sore loser, it ruins the game and the fun for everyone. So I asked if he wanted to play again and he agreed. Play was again genial and we were all having fun. Then it came, I had him in a spot to catch his mouse, but for some reason the mousetrap malfunctioned 3 times so Big Daddy thought the Monkey should get a free pass. I agreed and therefore ended up losing the game to my son, who was exuberant and jumping all over and yelling, "I won, I won! Hahaha!" He was close to doing a touchdown dance. Big Daddy then explained that technically he tied with me, since truly, the mousetrap should have worked and he would have lost. Then it came again...

The Look.

To be honest, I'm not sure where this level of competitiveness came from. I mean he is homeschooled, he isn't competing for time, for toys, for attention 8 hours a day! But, in all likelihood, this has nothing to do with his situation and everything to do with his age. Maybe it's just par for the course that 6 and 7 year-olds have not learned how to master their emotions enough to lose with grace. So, I will keep playing games with him, I will keep reinforcing the value of good sportsmanship and hopefully he will eventually get that it is all about having fun and spending time with people you love! After all, I'd lose a thousand times, if it meant I got to play every game with him. Unless it's Scrabble, then I'll kick his ass!

No comments: