Friday, November 07, 2008

What do you do when your Play-Doh dries out?


You make it your damn self! The Monkey Man was really wanting to show his baby sister what Play-Doh was all about. Unfortunately, all of our Play-Doh was dried out and sad. Thank goodness for the internet! I got online, found a do-able recipe and poof, half an hour later we have home-made, non-toxic, non-smelling play dough! We made five different colors and the materials I used probably cost less than $1, what a deal! For any of you interested in trying this, here is the recipe:

Play Dough

2 c. flour
2 c. warm water
1 c. salt
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. cream of tartar
food coloring

I heated the water in a pan until it was warm, not boiling, then I added the oil. I mixed all the dry ingredients then added them to the water. It immediately started thickening and I stirred and stirred until it got very doughy (past the point of looking liked mashed potatoes, where the dough was starting to peel off the edges and stick to itself). I turned the dough out on a cutting board and let it cool for a few minutes until I was able to handle it. I kneaded it until I got my desired consistency and separated it into 5 tennis ball sized balls. To add the color, I poked a hole in the middle and poured in the coloring and kneaded the dough until dispersed. If there is anything you learn from me, take the time to actually go get some gloves on or you'll have blue hands! Once the dye is incorporated into the dough, it no longer stains, it's just when it is still liquidy. After you have desired colors (granted, these are nowhere near as vibrant as commercial dough, but why do kids need neon colors to be happy?) then it's playtime! Enjoy and then store in airtight containers. If it starts to dry out, you can wrap the individual balls in a damp paper towel overnight to rehydrate, but at some point, they will get too hard and you will just start over! Luckily this is so stinkin' easy!

No comments: