Monday, May 12, 2008

Nice ending to a crappy weekend.

As you all know, this past weekend was Mother's Day. At first we were supposed to go camping, but the 2 week illness that kicked me in the teeth beforehand made it impossible for me to even fathom a camping trip. Sucks too, because I was actually looking forward to that! I got up Saturday morning and made a nice breakfast and resigned myself to the fact that the weekend would be spent cleaning in order to get the house back in order after two weeks of illness (not glamorous or fun, but necessary). Then it dawned on me that I still didn't have a dress to wear to my brother-in-law's wedding. So after breakfast and morning naps, we packed up the kids and headed out to shop. You have to understand something about me, when I was 18-23, I LOVED to shop! I worked in retail and the mall was a second home to me, literally! But once I got married and started college and left the world of retail, my hatred and disdain for the mall has grown. To put it bluntly, I would rather jab sharp sticks in my eyes repeatedly than spend ANY amount of time in the mall. Now I did have the option to buy a cute little dress online, and normally that would be great, but I am hard to fit and haven't bought a dress in so long that I had no idea what my size was, so off we went. (Cringe)

The moment I walked into the first store, I felt the panic of defeat instantly, then after trying on like 20 dresses, I was really feeling defeated! Finding a black dress in spring that isn't completely formal is hard! Everything was various degrees of taffeta and ruffles and floor length with sequins (which would have been fine if I were going to prom or I was one of the bridesmaids), or they were short, skimpy and generally on the hoochy side (some of which were cute, and I might have bought them for partying on 6th St., but not appropriate for a nice wedding!) So it was off to more stores. I found a gorgeous dress at one store, but the price tag was exorbitant! So I walked out of the store and continued on my way. This continued ALL day on Saturday. We even closed down the outlet mall!

Sunday morning it was up again. We headed down south to hit the only Nordstrom's I know of. I wish I could say the trip south proved fruitful, but it did not. We did however manage to find a cool pair of Teva's for the Monkey Man. We also managed to fit in a lovely outdoor lunch at a local hang out with friends, which was a nice break for me! After lunch I gave up! I told Big Daddy to bring me home as I was tired from being out and the baby was tired too. I put her down and went to crash out myself. Hubby and boy decided to go run around to get out of the house. I got up when they came home and I was informed that they bought me a Mother's Day surprise. How nice! I was then presented with the first season DVD's of Dexter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark trilogy. I have to admit, I was somewhat disappointed, seemed more like presents for hubby and boy! Then the Monkey Man, who has no talent for secrets, blabbed that those weren't my true presents and he ran to the pantry and opened the door and there in all of it's glory was that beautiful, bank-breaking dress (in my size even!) It was so sweet! I did however nag Big Daddy relentlessly for spending money so recklessly when we have car repairs and home repairs looming, but he said he wouldn't listen because he knew I would have never bought it for myself, it was the best-looking dress I tried on and he was sick and tired of shopping for damn dresses! You gotta love the way men rationalize things!

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

hey I love dexter - just finished watching season 2 on my Mp3 player