Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chicken in a Pot!


It has been awhile since I have posted anything "foodie". In fact, I don't think I have ever posted food stuff on this blog, but since I let my other go by the wayside, I decided why not? This is the everything blog now! I was desperate for a meal idea as we are getting to the bottom of the freezer in the meat department. I had a whole chicken and decided to figure something out. Usually I only keep whole chickens in the house for Green Chile Enchiladas, but since the kids can't handle those, I don't make them often. I didn't want to mess with this chicken much and I didn't want to tend the oven and heat up the house, so I thought about the Crock-Pot. Now I know alot of people have issues with Crock-Pots. I don't understand why, granted I don't use them daily, I do make some really wonderful stuff in Crock-Pots, roasts, stews, spare ribs, hell even lasagna sauce on occasion. I've never done a whole chicken, but found directions of how long I would need to cook the little bird, but decided to experiment with the preparation.

I sliced up some celery, onions, and carrots, then I plopped the little chicky-poo down in the pot. I sprinkled with salt and pepper, then whipped up a rub with butter, crushed garlic, fresh thyme and parsley (from my herb garden, yea!) then I smeared it all over the skin and under the skin of the chicken. I added some vegetable stock and a bay leaf to the pot. Now it is happily simmering in its little pot, making the house smell AMAZING. I am actually looking forward to my little chicken dinner tonight! I may buy more whole chickens from now on! I'm still deciding whether to make new potatoes or some sort of rice. Emeril has a recipe for Cheesy Rice Pilaf that looks yummy! We'll see. I'll report tomorrow on the outcome! And... Crock-Pots do rule!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

MMMMMM, sounds so yummy. I did a chicken in a crock pot once and it turned out so tender it just fell off the bone. I ended up making soup with it. :)

P.S. Ben is having a birthday party here at our house on June 1st from 12-2pm. I sure hope you and the little ones can make it. Ben wants the monkey man to be there. We're having pizza and water balloon fights. Should be fun! I'll be picking up colorful pieces of balloons for days lol.

Ginny said...

P.S. there will be plenty of water balloons and pizza for the adults too. :)