Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A Little Visitor!



Although I have been sick as a dog this week, there have been moments here and there worth blogging about. While working on the computer Big Daddy groaned and said there was a baby bird hopping around on the front porch, running into the storm door. We have had ALOT of mishaps with the sparrows this year, they keep nesting in precarious places that are not fit for baby birds and I have found several dead. So I was a little wary when I came to check on this bird. As it turns out, it was a nice surprise. Not only was it healthy, but it was a lovely little fledgling blue jay! Normally I would have been worried, but the first year we were here, I found a fledgling starling and got very worried about it and called an animal rescue place. They stated that fledglings end up on the ground, not ready to fly yet, but that the mommy and daddy stay close to it and feed it until it masters flight. So I was happy to see this little guy and had to take a couple of pics as he was just TOO cute! The bright, radiant, blue feathers contrasted with all the fuzziness of his baby down! So sweet! I am hoping he did alright, he rested a bit in my bottlebrush, then I haven't seen him since. On occasion I hear him call for mommy, but no visuals. I suppose as long as the neighborhood cats stay away, he'll fair just fine!

No comments: