Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Death of a Squash

My first zucchini plant bit the dust today. I fear the other two squash plants are soon to follow. I'm so sad! I knew I couldn't expect my first gardening experience to be perfect, but I from what I always knew, there was just no way to kill a squash plant! Well, looks like I can! All three plants starting getting yellow, although they did produce blossoms and this was the first to blossom and had several blossoms so I was optimistic, but it is a curled and sad little stump today. Are they getting too much sun? Everyone tells me that squash flourish in full sun, hence the reason I bought them. Wonder if I would have had better luck if I would have had stuff ready to plant early and planted with seeds? I was SO looking forward to fresh zucchini this summer! Sigh.

At least the tomatoes seem to be holding their own, as well as the bell peppers, although they are looking a little weak. I don't think anyone in town has anymore zucchini or crookneck plants, so I don't know what to do with the rest of the garden. Maybe I should plant nasturiums, pretty flowers and edible too. Anyone with gardening experience in TX, please let me know if there is anything that might help save my squashies. I dosed them with liquid seaweed per the nursery I deal with, thought that would give them a little boost. That was two days ago, but alas, it seems to have not worked at all. Oh well, I'm bound to have disappointments in a vegetable garden, I suppose we all do. Guess I should chalk it up to a learning curve and move on. It's true what they say about the $20 tomato, except in this case it's the $20 zucchini!

No comments: