Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Back from camping... we survived!

I guess I would have to say for our very first camping trip, we did a pretty good job! I never in a million years would have guessed how hard camping is. It is definitely something that has a learning curve! And honestly, trying to keep track of a toddler in the woods is a chore even for an hour hike much less a three day excursion! We managed to pitch the tent with very little effort, my two kiddos went to the campsite next to us and visited while we set up camp so that was extremely helpful. I did all of the main cooking at home before we left, so other than grilling a tenderloin, making sausage and eggs for breakfast and roasting some brats over the open fire, food was easy and the S'mores were great! We shared our campsite with another family who have 2 children the same ages as ours and the other site next to us also had a toddler, so we were able to keep all the littles fairly contained and we knew that at least 3 pairs of eyes were on them at all times.

We were able to have great campfires both nights, which was especially necessary the first night and first morning as it was COLD! I am SO glad we opted for the 25* F sleeping bags! I did sleep like shit though because I spent the entire night worrying whether or not the kids were warm enough. They say it got down to something like 38* F the first night, BRRRRRR! But Saturday was gorgeous and we ran around taking in the sights of Dinosaur Valley. There is just something quite awe-inspiring to actually be walking along a site that has the dino footprints, thinking here you are MILLIONS of years later walking in the same spot that they did! So cool! I did get a little chuckle as we were driving on the road to the actual park because we passed the Creation Evidence Museum. We didn't have the opportunity to stop in for a looksy, but to be honest, I didn't want to take the chance of being exposed to some weird mind-warping ray that might have wiped away all of our sensibilities of the world around us! I did read about it when I came home though and from what I understand their main research is to prove that man and dinosaurs co-existed thus proving the creationist viewpoint, I'm a little confused on the particulars, but by all means check out their site if you're at all interested in that type of stuff: www.creationevidence.org

Anyhoo... the dino footprints were amazing, the scenery was beautiful, the company was great, the food was awesome (like I had any doubt there, I so rock!) and we had a great time. The only downside was when the Monkey Man woke up at 1am Sunday morning puking his guts out in the tent from eating too much shit at everyone's campsites! I think he may need to learn how to tell people "No thank you." But how can I fault him, I mean seriously, when you're 6 and someone is offering you chips and marshmallows and cookies and crackers and granola bars and candy and watermelon, how can you possibly resist? Especially when the junkier stuff he very rarely gets at home! I just hope he learned his lesson and will keep his eating habits in check the next time we group camp somewhere.

Well, that is the highlights of our trip. I will have pics in the next post so I can label them and whatnot. We had a blast though, but I am still in the midst of dealing with stinky, campfire-smelling laundry! UGH!

No comments: