Wednesday, April 09, 2008

It's that buggy time of year again!



I have come to love the spring and summer in Central Texas. There are so many interesting critters, even in my own little suburban yard. I have found many sweet, little anole lizards over the last couple of weeks, one of which has two tails! I don't know if he is an actual mutant, or if he lost part of his tail at one time and it grew back two, I tend to think the latter. Either way, I see him frequently and am fond of him! My neighbor kids were out last week and came across this wonderful moth. It was very lethargic, so I don't know if it was recently out of the cocoon or if it was close to dying, but it let me pic it up to get a better look at it and take some photos. My son said the markings looked like that of a snow leopard, what a great observation! After a little bit of research, I have discovered that this is called a Giant Leopard Moth. Now I don't know if you remember, and this was probably from the now defunct "Living, Surviving, Seeking" blog, I had captured a fuzzy, black caterpillar last year, I think we called him Fuzzy Wuzzy. Anyway, that caterpillar is what turns into this beautiful moth, I have included a pic of Fuzzy from last year. Who knows, maybe this moth was Fuzzy himself! How cool would that be? So we are kicking off what will hopefully be a wonderful season of discovery in my own little yard!

No comments: