Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Slowly but surely...

I am sure I have regaled you all with tales of my hideous and horrendous backyard. The fire-ant infested, barren, dog shitter! Well I have come to a point in my life where I just can't stand it anymore! If I don't get this backyard to a somewhat habitable space I'm gonna freak the hell out! We have been spending more time out back since we got the trampoline. We have dusted off the patio furniture and have been doing a good job at keeping on top of the lawn mowing. But FINALLY last weekend I made a couple of big advancements in my quest for backyard serenity! Big Daddy and I tackled an 8' X 4' raised garden that is hopefully going to be filled with soil this weekend and planted during the next week. I'm not going too crazy, just some tomatoes, bell peppers, squash and simple stuff like that. I want to make sure I can actually cultivate something so I don't get discouraged! I also got busy and planted two little boxes of herbs, and yes, I am sure I over planted the boxes as many of these herbs will get big, but I figured I had to start somewhere and I will pinch stuff off or transplant as needed, but I just NEEDED to start the process. I will handle growth as it happens. I will also need to get a good little book on cooking with fresh herbs. I occasionally buy fresh herbs at the store, but have never grown them and used them. I am looking forward to not only the adventures in gardening this summer, but the culinary adventures that are sure to follow! And I am so happy to at least see SOMETHING productive happening in my shitbox of a backyard!

Raised bed... no dirt yet.


No comments: