Monday, April 28, 2008

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?!?!

So, what I'm about to discuss is nothing new, I've heard about this kind of stupid crap for years, but everytime I hear about it, it just pisses me off even more. There was a shark attack in California. The shark attacked a swimmer, severed his legs and he bled to death on the beach. Now there is a huge search for this shark, so they can kill it. And this is where I get pissed off. Do I think it's horrible that this man had his life cut short while he was out enjoying a swim? Of course, loss of life sucks. Do I think they need to be hunting down and killing said shark? Absolutely not! This animal was doing what this animal does, it was feeding on whatever prey happened to be in its vicinity at the time. You think a shark has the capability to look and say, "Oh shit, that's a human, I better not eat him, they don't like it when we eat them!" This is a highly specialized predator, searching for prey in ITS environment! Once we set foot inside the ocean, we are NOT on our turf anymore, henceforth we must realize that by entering the ocean we are entering ourselves into the food chain! How can we blame a top predator for going after an easy meal?

And besides, do we not go into their environment and hunt them? Turnabout is fair play people. If we can go out and hunt them to damn near extinction and pollute their environment, why do we get so pissed off when one them takes one of us out? Believe me, even with all reported shark attacks each year, I am sure that number is less than one boat's shark catch in one week. You don't see them sending search parties on land looking for the fishermen that wiped out all their buddies. And if that isn't bad enough, what about us? We get so outraged that a wild animal kills a human, yet we hardly bat an eye at all the killing that is happening in Iraq and Darfur and all over the world. So it's OK for us to kill other humans in the name of religion, oil, politics, whatever, but DAMN that shark for eating that swimmer guy! We need to blast his scaly ass out of the Pacific!

It is just another blatant misuse of human power on this planet. Instead of trying to understand and peacefully co-exist with other species, we have deemed that we have the right to kill and plunder as we please, not at all holding ourselves to the standards we expect wild animals to adhere by. Absolute righteous human bullshit if you ask me. And like the old bumper sticker says, "The more I know humans, the more I like my dog!"

No comments: