Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Opt-out, save trees!

I am loving my Austin Monthly "Green Issue"! It has an article "50 Ways to Reduce Your Ecological Footprint" and I'm loving many of the ideas. One of the big things I have been struggling with for YEARS is junk mail. I found a site called 40-pounds or something like that, but you had to pay for the service, like $40 a year. Technically not bad, but if I can have a similar service for $1, I'm willing to give it a shot. There is a website called:

www.dmachoice.org

If you go to this site and choose the "Remove my name from those lists" box it will take you through several different processes to help you stop unsolicited junk mail. I opted out of several catalogs and opted out of ALL unsolicited mail. Now I do have to actually send in a form, with a check for $1, but it's worth a try. I highly recommend every one else doing the same. There was also a link to a place called "Opt Out Prescreen" that can stop all of those annoying credit card and insurance offers (those are the WORST!) They ask for some personal info, but you are NOT REQUIRED to give SSN or birthdate, they say it helps with the process, but I'm not giving out my SSN unless I HAVE to. I hope some folks find this info useful and are able to decrease your junk mail, courtesy of your little tree-hugging blogger mom!

No comments: