Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Calculating your footprint

I came across these sites while perusing my Austin Monthly magazine. One site calculates your "ecological footprint" and the other your "carbon footprint". Now granted, there is only so much a website can calculate as a tool for the general public, there are obviously other factors that would effect both of these things on an individual basis, whether for good or bad, but still, I thought it would be interesting to see where I landed in comparison to the national average and such. I was pleased to see that I ranked lower than most, but definitely not where I would hope to be as a good citizen of Mother Earth. For the past couple of years I HAVE been making an effort to reduce my use in many areas. I try to run all of my errands on one day and not during peak hours, I have been the recycling QUEEN for years, we have been replacing incandescent bulbs with the compact flourescents, and I always try to plant native plants in my garden so I don't have to water as much. I still have a long way to go, but I figure at least I am trying and I am trying to teach my children good habits as well. I want to leave them a healthy planet and I have to admit with this consumer crazy, disposable world it is HARD! Anyway, here are links to the sites, in case any of you are interested. Like I said, not the most accurate tools, but it gives you an idea of where you stand and maybe where you could improve!

www.myfootprint.org
www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/carboncalculator

No comments: