Thursday, March 20, 2008

Counting the days!



My brother-in-law is to be married in June. Of course my parents-in-law will be here to attend the wedding. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they have offered to stay the week after the wedding to babysit the kiddos so Big Daddy and I can take a trip. We spent WEEKS combing the internet for a good deal. Hawaii... too expensive, Florida... too spring break, Caribbean... a little out of budget, Central America... do-able. Alright so where to go? We looked at Cabo and Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Playa Del Carmen, thought about Belize or Costa Rica (unfortunately both were a little pricey), so where did we finally decide? Cozumel, Mexico. Cozumel is a little island off of the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, not far from Cancun or Tulum. We found a swanky all-inclusive little number that provides 4 restaurants, grills and buffets, all the liquor (top shelf included) and many excursions. We will get an hour with the dolphins at the dolphinarium next door and the hotel has a little pier where you can jump right into the water to snorkel. You can rent a convertible VW Beetle for $25 a day, or $15 for a scooter if you're brave enough! The hotel is within walking distance to the main downtown area and you can take a free ferry over to the mainland. I will have to figure out how to deal with the boat ride, me and boats don't jive (can you say GREEN!), but if I could hang we would be able to hit the mainland and take that tour of Chichen Itza that we didn't take and regretted the last time we were in the Yucatan. We will have a gorgeous ocean-view room complete with a hammock on the balcony and a two-person jetted tub that is situated so we can enjoy the view while hot-tubbing! Fun!

I am SOOOO looking forward to this! I have not had an honest to goodness VACATION for at least 6 years. In fact, I think the last true destination vacation was in 1996, Big Daddy and I hit Waikiki Beach on Oahu for a week after I graduated from college. So 12 years since our last vacation? That is just too damn long! I guess we'll be spending our government "stimulus check" in Mexico, ARRIBA! I just know that I'm achin' to have my toes in the sand and drink in my hand! Now for the hard part, waiting another 2 1/2 months before I can go!

No comments: