Friday, February 15, 2008

What's on the menu?

I'm a little late in posting this, but hey, better late than never, right? We always host the yearly Superbowl party and I always serve up something yummy and warm. I generally do some sort of soup or stew because I can make alot, it keeps well on the stove so people can eat when they want, and it really sticks to the ribs! This year I prepared my awesome and completely tasty Green Chile Stew (poor girl's version)! This recipe is great with stew meat or tender pork, but when you're poor or have ALOT of people to feed, it is just as tasty and alot cheaper to use ground beef. And for those of you who are not familiar with the difference, when I say "chile", I do not mean a red meat sauce that may or may not contain beans like Hormel or Wolf brand chili, I am talking about the actual peppers, green chiles, Hatch green chiles are probably the most famous. The recipe is simple and very satisfying, enjoy!




Green Chile Stew

Meat--1 lb ground beef, stew meat, diced pork (whichever you prefer)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 cup or more (depending on how spicy you want it) of green chiles
1 can corn or equivalent frozen
4 diced potatoes
2 cups cooked pinto beans
salt, pepper, dried oregano
3-5 dried red peppers (preferably chipotles)
1 tbsp Crisco (if using stew meat or pork)

Brown meat, add and saute garlic and green chiles. Add water like a regular stew. Add the rest of the ingredients and let cook until done and potatoes are tender. Serve with tortillas.

No comments: