Friday, February 08, 2008

Valentine's Day... uh, yeah.

So I'm seeing all the commercials for diamond necklaces, greeting cards, and teddy bears, it can only mean one thing... Valentine's Day. Maybe I've just lost my flare for romance, after all, I've been married for 13 1/2 years and I have two kids, romance is hard to come by in this house. Or maybe romance just means something different to me now? If my hubby came home with a box of chocolates and teddy bear, I'd laugh my ass off at him! If he came home with a bouquet of flowers and a diamond necklace, I'd appreciate the flowers and make him take the necklace back as I can think of ALOT of other, more useful things that could be bought with that money. Besides, what makes February 14th so damn special anyway? OK so according to some research, St. Valentine was killed around that time, so it is a celebration of his contribution to life, OK... It is the beginning of the mating season for many birds... AND??? I mean seriously, what is so much more romantic about February 14th then say, May 24th or November 16th? Maybe I'm just a non-conformist, I can't stand someone telling me when I should or shouldn't feel amorous with my mate! Besides, Valentine's Day has become a holiday of commercial stupidity! A bunch of guys running around trying to find cute and romantic little gifts so they can score! And I can vouch for many women and say, we truly don't want these silly little gifts, hell half of them end up in the trash within a week, or in the case of chocolates end up on our asses in a week, which the guys don't seem to like, so why not actually offer something that we can really appreciate? If you REALLY want to impress someone of the female persuasion on Valentine's Day, here's a hint... if you used half the energy you exert to try to get us into bed and used it to sit down and truly focus on US, you would find that the majority of us don't want diamonds and trinkets (think of the money I'm saving you here!), we want a good man that treats us well, appreciates what we contribute to the relationship and tells us so, and I have to say it, is a considerate lover! And I tease about kids being the end of romance, but that isn't exactly true, for in my case, my husband became 10 times sexier when I saw what kind of father he was! It's the simple things boys, we actually want to feel loved, we want to have your honest and genuine affection, we want to be important. It's pretty much that simple. I'm not saying we don't appreciate a nice gift on occasion to let us know you care, but make it heartfelt, and it's even better when it isn't on Valentine's Day. Because seriously, none of us give a shit about the singing dinosaur or heart-holding teddy bear!

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

Okay I am holding you responsible, no gifts for Alison this year :)