Friday, November 09, 2007

So what's my real problem?

OK, the fence thing has me pissed, but to be honest, I think it was just a gateway to other things that piss me off. Why does the fence piss me off so bad? It's because it's just another thing about that backyard that is worthless. It is a flat, desolate piece of land with some funky mish-mosh of grass and weeds, with one puny and probably dying maple tree, an overgrown, ugly ligustrum bush, a hacked-up, dead vine (looked like a grape, but never produced fruit) and a hackberry tree that is right in the fence line, not to mention the cracked concrete slab of a porch that tends to grow more grass than the yard! It is nothing but a gigantic, fire ant infested, dog shitter! How inviting! Makes you want to rush right out and enjoy it, right? OK, so it's ugly and useless, is that what pisses me off? A little. But what really pisses me off is that I cannot let my children go out and play. They will either step in dog shit, get stung by fire ants or get fried in the sun! This whole scenario wouldn't be as annoying to me if I felt I could let my kiddos run around outside in front of the house. But the only way that is even feasible is if I am with them. Even though my son is almost 6, I cannot justify leaving him alone in front of the house. I hear of incidents all the time, in fact one was posted to my mom's group today, about people trying to get little kids into their cars or to leave with them. Now I've gone over stranger danger with my son, but he is so friendly and knows so many of our neighbors, I think he would have a hard time distinguishing between someone he knows and someone who would want to take him. I spent the majority of my childhood running around outdoors like a fiend! I was able to run down the street to a neighbor's house or play out in my driveway. My mom didn't have to hang out with me every second, so long as I stayed where I told her I'd be. But the climate has changed, it isn't safe to leave your youngsters outside alone. Not only that, but in a year or so, he will be of an obvious school age and although most of my closer neighbors know we homeschool, if he was running around out front during school hours, I'd end up with a visit from the local truancy officer, which I seriously don't need. So I am desperate to get this yard functional. Children NEED to be outside. Someplace where they are safe, but can explore and play and run amok. I hate having them cooped up in the house, and sometimes I HATE having to drive someplace in order to have a safe environment for them to play! Mostly since pretty soon gas is going to get so damn expensive that we're going to have to start walking everywhere! I really need to win the lotto!

4 comments:

Sean Wright said...

I need to get you a picture of my back yard :)

Ginny said...

I perfectly understand your frustrations. I'm so glad we don't have a dog anymore. I couldn't let Ben off the back porch because of all the poo everywhere. Caitlin was supposed to clean it up since it was HER dog, but she never did.

But now that she isn't living here anymore neither is the dog. It's been nice. My yard still needs lots and lots of work though to get it back in shape.

You are always going to have issues with your back yard as long as you have BIG dog. It's almost impossible to have a people friendly yard when there is a big dog living in it. They tramp the good grass down so nothing but weeds can grow...and of course they leave huge land mines everywhere.

Hmmm, maybe you should hire a pooper scooper person who comes out a couple of times a week to get that problem under control, and get something to control the ants. Molasses and nematodes work great. Then at least you can turn the kids loose in the back yard and not have to worry quite as much.

Little Mama said...

I am actually planning to fence off part of the yard and make it into a kennel area for the dog. My neighbor constructed a poop composter for his big dog. So maybe if I can train the dog to poo in the kennel area (which I hope to have filled with gravel) I can easily scoop and compost and maybe even reclaim the majority of the yard. We shall see. It just seems like such an overwhelming job and I have no idea where to start!

Ginny said...

It will cost money too to make a kennel. There never is an easy solution...