Friday, November 09, 2007

On the fence...

So after my annoying ordeal with the fence company, I called and really bitched them out. I was transferred to a manager and she apologized profusely and basically begged for me to give them a second chance. So she set me up with a new rep who stated he would come to my house at 10am on Thursday. So he actually arrived at 9:45am with all the equipment necessary to give me a good estimate. He was a nice guy and I was thinking, hey, this might actually work out. So I got the quote this morning and almost pooped myself! I have 175 ft. of fence, the estimate for them to do the entire job was $3912, to have them come out and just set the posts and deliver the materials was $3745. So why is my labor worth so little when theirs is worth so much. So putting up the slats is only worth $167?!? That's less than a dollar a slat! Oh well, it seems as though my dream of a new fence and a decent backyard will once again be put on hold. I didn't even spend $3500 on my floors, why the hell would I pay that much for a fence? I guess we'll be having some sort of crazy fence building party in the spring. Maybe by then I can at least afford the materials and maybe my neighbors will help with the expenses. Doubtful, but who knows? Home-ownership is a bitch sometimes!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

That is an incredible amount of money for a fence. I'm scared now. A good section of my fence is falling over and it's probably going to eat our lunch getting it fixed. I have no way to make the repairs myself. I don't have the knowledge or the equipment. Maybe I need to learn...