Thursday, November 01, 2007

And yet another novel idea...

So I told my hubby last night that I was thinking of starting to write a novel today for that Nano Wrimo thing. He seemed deeply concerned, wanting to know where I would get the time, obviously seeing how spread thin I am already. I had a somewhat sleepless night debating, should I or shouldn't I do this. And although I'm tired as shit today, I did wake up with a clear idea about things. He is absolutely right, I am spread so thin right now it's ridiculous. I don't have enough time to be writing this blog, much less a freakin' novel, YET I still have that urge to prove to myself I can accomplish something important. So, in lieu of writing the next great American novel in the next month, I am going to shoot for a goal that would actually benefit me. I started a cute little children's book about 2 years ago, nothing fancy, just cute and fun. I had a good start, then life kicked in and I never got back to it and that's a shame, I think it has potential to be really good. So... instead of writing a novel about nothing, my goal is to finish that book and start looking for an illustrator. THAT would truly make a difference in my life, accomplishing something that has real meaning and significance to ME. I will hopefully have plenty of time to write that novel years from now when children have left for college. Right now, anything that takes me away from teaching, playing and spending time with my kids had better be something I have vested interest in! Because these days of Spiderman and dinosaurs and invisibility cloaks and giggles and kisses and peek-a-boo are days that I will cherish for the rest of my life and missing even a moment just so I can say I wrote a stinkin' novel in a month, well, that's just crazy. But that little children's book, that is worth a little of my time, especially since it is being written for them! I will let do an update on the book situation on Nov. 30th to see if I reached my goal!

3 comments:

Sean Wright said...

You go girl. I once wote a novel in a weekend with 2 other mates. We were published at/by the Adelaide Fringe Festival ie essentiallly we were best in our State/Territory.


It was called Goldfish, French Fries and Space Invaders.

Little Mama said...

Is this something that is out there circulating that I'd be able to find in my local library?? Sounds like an interesting read!

Sean Wright said...

It's a very rare book, there's only about three books in existance, my mother bought all the rest LOL.

It was part of the anthology, and if you enjoy reading fiction by 15 year olds its not too bad. It was very Douglas Adamsesque.

Maybe I could copy it for you? Just have to find my copy.

Hey did the stickers arrrive yet?