Friday, February 27, 2009

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

Well I don't know about Mary, Mary, but MY garden is growing great! The rain last week really got things going. It's amazing how much better a garden does with rainwater, mostly since we've hardly seen rainwater in 2 years! Both cauliflower and broccoli almost doubled in size, and carrots, spinach and lettuce sprouted! The only downfall being the pesky rodent that inhabits my neighbor's shed. That rat is eating all of my beautiful spinach! So this weekend I plan to erect some sort of cage around that bed. It may not stop him completely, but hopefully it will be a deterrent. I also plan to sprinkle the bed liberally with cayenne as soon as the wind stops! Maybe if Willard gets a big snoutful of pepper, he won't be so inclined to come and steal from my garden. But knowing my luck, he'll be a fan of pepper and he'll come back for twice as much! Rat nibbling aside, the garden looks great, the cauliflower and broccoli are starting to make florettes (if that's what you call them) and they are so cute! Ian is looking forward to the day he can start pulling up carrots! I am looking forward to the day we eat our first head of cauliflower! I heart my garden!

This may look like a lot of mud to you, but it looks like teeny carrots, teeny lettuce, some rat-gnawed spinach and some onions to me! I have high hopes for this bed!


Itty bitty lettuce, Aaaawwww!


Look at that broccoli... can I get a YEE-HAW!


And that cauliflower! I've never seen anything so cool!


Green, growing and gorgeous!

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

Looks like my vege patch circa 2006. Now its kind of dry and sparse like the sahara