Monday, February 16, 2009

It's not what you think!

I am kicking myself now for not getting a photo as it was a sheerly magnificent sight! Yesterday we tackled the festering pit of hell most of you would refer to as a garage. It was so backed up with shit that the kids couldn't get scooters or bikes out or in, we barely had a path to the beer fridge (which of course is a must) and there was no POSSIBLE way we would ever be able to work out there or find our camping gear! So, there was no way around it, we had to get it cleaned out. We opened up both of the doors and began to haul EVERYTHING out. This is the best way to do it you know? Take it all out, then assess what is needed, what is not and what actually should go back into the garage. Our goal is to have a place for Big Daddy and the Monkey Man to play drums, a place for me to do arts and crafts with the kids and a place to set up my easels or sewing machine or whatever I need to paint, sew or craft in order for me to maintain some sense of creativity and sanity!

We managed to get most everything out in fairly short order. I sorted through various buckets, bags and boxes and began to fill recycling and trash bins with wild abandon. And then it began... every so often people would pull over, get out of their cars and start perusing our stuff. Again and again, we yelled out from the garage, "This isn't a garage sale! We're just spring cleaning!" A couple of people laughed and some even chatted with us for a few, claiming we were inspiring them to do their own spring cleaning, but the majority of people seemed quite incensed! We were told many times that there was a sign as you entered the neighborhood. OK, but that doesn't mean WE were the ones having the garage sale! I was amazed at how persnickety some people were about it. I don't know, maybe it's easier to be snotty than to be embarrassed. Either way, there were many a sad bargain hunter that left our yard empty-handed! Sadly, they will once again be tempted and annoyed next weekend when we open the doors up and finish the job! Maybe I should set aside a pile of things I do want to be rid of and see if anyone makes me a offer!

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

Strangely we have been doing the same thing.