Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Baby Snaa-haakes!



Everytime I hear the words "baby snakes" it makes me think of a Frank Zappa song! You may be wondering why in the hell I would have even been thinking of baby snakes at all. Well... as it turns out, I was in the front yard, putting lights on the tree when my son informed me that there was an earthworm on the sidewalk and he wanted to pick it up and put it in the dirt of our flower bed. I told him I'd help as those earthworms are wiggly little buggers and they kind of freak him out when they do that. I went over prepared to pick up a misplaced worm and realized that it was no worm, but a baby snake of some sort. I'm glad I told him not to pick it up. Granted, I'm sure it was nothing but a little garden snake, but when they're that small, it's kinda hard to tell, but it didn't have that typical v-shaped head, so that was a relief! I went to the garage and got a little tin (that did have popcorn in it) and I coaxed the little guy into the tin. We showed him to my neighbor's kids and then decided we would release the little guy at the farm just outside the neighborhood. I didn't want to leave him on the sidewalk to be picked off by a bird, and honestly, even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't poisonous, I really didn't feel the need to have it cruising around my house either, mostly since there are alot of cats that lurk around. The farm seemed a much safer spot for this little guy and I'm sure a place with a greater potential for food items. Then again, I don't know what a snake that small eats, bugs maybe? Anyway, here are a couple of photos, we enjoyed its company while we had it and hopefully it lives a long healthy life on the farm!

No comments: