Monday, October 27, 2008

It's a bitch getting older!

Recently I noticed an area on my face, up on my left cheek, that's red, kind of bumpy and has some discoloration around it. I didn't think anything of it at first really, but it's been around for about a month now. A friend of mine said her brother is a dermatologist and she suggested I make every effort to get it looked at soon. So I went in today to see my dermatologist. He said it could be one of two things. I could be dealing with an area of yeast, which is fairly common and curable with a creme or it was a spot of pre-cancer. He says since I came in early on that there is absolutely NO evidence of cancer, but possibly some abnormal cells. We are going to take the next month to treat it as if it's yeast and see how it goes, but if it is not resolved he will want to biopsy it to make certain. It's always a scary thing to even discuss cancer in any way, but I have high hopes that it is just the yeast and will be all cleared up in a month. And although the discoloration is definitely sun damage, it is more of an "age spot" and nothing to be too worried about. I guess we'll see where we're at in a month. I'm glad I went in, even if it is more serious, we'll be catching it very early on and that's always the best scenario. I told him I was surprised as for the last 10 years I have been good about sunscreen and such, but he just laughed and said it wasn't anything I've done in the last 10 years, it was the days on the beach when I was 18 that are catching up! Ain't that a bitch?!?

3 comments:

Sean Wright said...

Tell me about it. I think old happens at 33. I was fine until I hit 33 now its like pushing shit uphill with a pitchfork.

Little Mama said...

Sean, my dear, you are so stinkin' poetic sometimes!

Sean Wright said...

Thankyou, i'll be here all week :)