Monday, January 21, 2008

Eternal "sunshine" of a spotless mind

OK, so as you all know, I am officially 1 year into my massive home improvement saga. It was supposed to just be floors, but then came utility room and bathroom, then paint and changing out practically every light fixture in the house, blah, blah blah. I am sure this is never going to end, at least until we sell the damn thing! Not that we are planning on that anytime soon, but still. Anyway, when we moved into this house, the ENTIRE house was painted this light sunshine yellow. I LOVED my son's yellow room in Oregon, but it was ONE room and it was in Oregon! You have to have bright cheery walls in a place that rains 360 days a year! Anyway, this yellow has been the bane of my existence for 2 1/2 years! I painted over it with Granny Smith Apple green in my daughter's room, blue in my son's room and gray in the den and kitchen. I have never tackled the horrid yellow in the great room because of the 20-ft. vaulted ceilings. I just gave in to the fact that I was going to have to deal with it. Well I couldn't! Once we started with the floors and the new tile and the fireplace, I opted out of the gray in the den and kitchen and wanted to go with a nice subtle taupe. Somewhat neutral, yet dark enough to have interest, looks AMAZING with my tile. We have noticed on alot of the homeshows that the trend in painting is to paint the ceilings now (which is great for the lazy painter, no more edging around white ceilings)! Anyway, I had gray in one part of the house, yellow in the front and an off white in the stairwell that for some reason always had a pinkish hue to it. So I decided to paint it all, create seamless, flowing lines and continuity. Things went great in the den and kitchen, we were able to get one coat coverage and it is STUNNING! I love it! We started in the great room this past weekend and HOLY SHIT what a pain in the ass! The high walls are a nightmare and if that weren't bad enough, it has become blatantly apparent that we are going to have to double coat over this damn yellow! I painted and painted yesterday and this morning I came into yellow bleeding through taupe! It's like the Amityville house except instead of the walls bleeding red, it's bleeding sunshine yellow!!! AAAAAARRRRRGH! And how ironic that the rooms with 12 ft. ceilings took the paint beautifully with one coat and minimal problems, but the room with 20-ft. vaulted ceilings I'm going to have to double coat... what a bitch! It's like this yellow paint refuses to give up! Some strange cosmic joke of sorts meant to drive me out of my mind! (Maybe it's the Stephenville UFOs?) Anyway, if I can ever get that damn yellow covered up, the new paint will be amazing, it's just getting there that sucks. I'm beginning to think I should have paid the painter guy the $750 to do it! But then again, I'm an idiot and that's what idiots do!

2 comments:

Sean Wright said...

We are renovating sometime this year, I don't want to hear stories like this :)

Little Mama said...

I'm sorry you're having to renovate! All I can say is after all the tiling and hardwoods and painting and plumbing is that if I could have I WOULD HAVE PAID SOMEONE ELSE!!! But I will always be happy to share your pain! ;-)