Monday, August 06, 2007

13 years and still going strong!

Today is my 13th wedding anniversary! I have officially been married as long as my parents were. About the only other people I know that have been married longer are my in-laws! I always knew I'd still be with the hubby after this long. I think it was always meant to be. We were friends way before we were a couple and that seems to be the secret to success (that and you know you've found true love if you can fart in front of each other, and that was NEVER a problem between us!) Once we began dating, we actually lived together for 3 years before marrying so there were no surprises, we each knew each other SO well. I still believe the ceremony was just a technicality, I think we were just as committed before we said "I do", but hey, why not go for the tax break? And I did end up with a pretty sweet ring! :-)

As I have probably mentioned before, I had a bit of a wild life, early on, but for some reason marriage and family ended up working so much better for me. As much as I loved partying and hanging out with people and being the life of the party, it was tiring! Marriage was just so much easier and more meaningful. I didn't have to prove myself, I didn't have to be cool, I just had to be me! It is so nice to have someone to share your dreams and your life, someone who thinks your kids are as cool as you think they are, someone to laugh with and on occasion laugh at, and in my case, someone to be the optimist. No matter how shitty a situation seems, he can always find a way to make it seem less shitty. And when I think it's the end of the world, he assures me that it "ain't no thing but a chicken wing, and a chicken ain't nothin' but a bird." Now what that actually means... I'm not necessarily sure, but it does make things seem a little less overwhelming. He's my rock, my computer geek, my "Big Daddy", he's the breadwinner, the one who makes it possible for me to be at home, loving and schooling our children. And as much as he annoys the crap out of me sometimes, he is absolutely my very best friend and the person I truly want to spend the rest of my life with! I sure hope he feels the same about me! How could he not? I'm still a pretty hot bitch after all these years! :-)

But I think my father-in-law put it so well, and I'm paraphrasing here, "When you have someone you love to share your life with, the bad things are only half as bad, and the good things are twice as great!" If my hubby is reading... I love you and I'm looking forward to the next 60 years!

No comments: