Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Nearest Book Meme


The Rules:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next seven sentences in your journal along with these instructions.
5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.


Two of those ministers were Francis Hutcheson's grandfather and father. John Hutchenson was pastor of Armagh when his son Francis was born in 1694. Francis received his first education at his grandfather's house. It seemed only natural and proper that he follow in their footsteps as a minister.

By then the Ulster Scots community had been through much. In the decades before Hutcheson's birth they had endured massacre by dispossessed Irish Catholics, including the wholesale murder of men, women and children at Portadown in 1641, and paid them back in kind. Many had signed the National Covenant, and backed the Parliamentary forces against Charles I.

(Photo provided by Duluth Trading Company)

2 comments:

Ginny said...

Hey there, feel like I haven't been to your blog in forever or talked to you in forever. I hope you are all doing well.

If you know of anyone who is hiring and needs a smart worker let me know. I'm networking :)

Little Mama said...

I know, I check you blog, to make sure you're still alive and kickin'! Glad to hear from you! I will keep my ears open.