Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No Country For Old Men

We sent the kids to bed early last night so we could watch a movie with more than a "G" rating! Big Daddy had downloaded "No Country For Old Men" by the Coen Brothers. It was actually meant to be our amusement on the way to Mexico. I have to admit, I am glad we didn't watch it before Mexico, it was NOT a movie that would get you into a "feel good" vacation mode. In fact, it was downright depressing. Brilliant... but downright depressing! I have always been such a Coen Bros. fan, my faves being "O Brother Where Art Thou" and "Fargo". This definitely went right along with the typical Coen Bros. character development (which never ceases to amaze me) and Tommy Lee Jones was nothing short of spectacular. The villain was just awesome, scary as hell, but awesome. I was tickled that the dialect that they tackled this time was redneck Texan! Sounded just like home! I think what I found most compelling, yet annoying all at the same time was the fact that it was just this moment in time. You really never quite get the motivation or a serious resolution, it's like someone took a 3 or 4 day time frame, cut it out of life and that was it, nothing before and nothing after exists. The movie is based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy. I am tempted to buy it, however, the last McCarthy novel I tried to read, "All the Pretty Horses" bored me to freakin' tears and I gave up on it about 50 pages in. The reviews of the book are good though. Anyway, this is a tremendous piece of cinematography and I highly recommend it. NOT for the squeamish or faint-hearted as it is filled with excessive, psychopathic violence, staying true to many of the Coen Bros. films.

No comments: