Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Just trying to help...

I was driving the kids to activity co-op this morning down a fairly busy 4-lane highway. I saw ahead of me two old Labrador Retrievers walking in the road. I could tell they were older as the were kind of droopy and really slow, they had obviously escaped from a backyard and taken a swim in a ditch bank or something and they were tired. As I drove by, I couldn't stand it, two good ol' dogs on a busy road. I made a U-turn and headed back, kids in tow. I pulled up behind the doggies, put on my flashers and attempted to get the old guys in the car. They looked like they were considering the lift, but not sure. I had my doors open, calling for them, all the while getting honked at, flipped off and yelled at. Eventually another mom in an SUV pulled over and she and I managed to at least herd them off the road and into an open field that looked like it might have connected to the neighborhood that they may have escaped from. At that point, they were at least off the busy road and had a chance of finding their way home. So I got back in the car and drove off, hoping I wouldn't drive back down that road to go home later and find 2 dead dogs.

Yet again, the lack of compassion in the general public makes me sick! All I was trying to do was get a couple of good dogs, who were probably well-loved by someone, off the road and only one other person stopped to help and the rest heckled, honked and yelled profanities at me... NICE! I mean what should I expect? I was blocking one of the two lanes in that direction and therefore people actually had to drive around me and they may have been 30 seconds late to where they were going! I am absolutely disgusted with a large majority of the human race! A bunch of ego-centric assholes with no concern for anyone or anything else on the planet and we wonder why things are so screwed up! Common courtesy, polite behavior, concern for others, all gone. It's all about numero uno and everyone else can go to hell. I personally don't like this arrangement and I have complete disdain for all those that are OK with this status quo. I'm sorry, but you still open doors for old ladies, you still give up your seat on the bus for a pregnant woman, you still let someone with two items ahead of you in the grocery line if you have a full basket, you still stop and try to help two old dogs off the road to keep them from getting mashed!!! It's the RIGHT THING TO DO! I can only hope that at least some of my generation is raising their kids to have better manners, because at this point, manners are all but obsolete and it is really driving me crazy! And all those people that honked and yelled at me today can just piss off, someday karma's gonna come around and bite you in the ass and I'm sad I won't be there to see it!

No comments: