Sunday, July 13, 2008

High hopes!

I don't remember if I posted or not, but on July 4th we completed our second raised bed in the back yard. I planted seeds on Tuesday. Some golden zucchini, dark green zucchini, lemon squash, lemon cucumbers and yes, I planted a pumpkin vine for my kids! These are the first seeds I've planted, the rest of the plants in my garden were transplants, so needless to say, I was quite excited to go out to water this morning and see that one of the cucumbers, 2 golden zucchini, one green zucchini and 2 lemon squash seedlings are peeking out of the soil! The Monkey Man was pretty excited as well! The rest of the garden is doing well. The cantaloupe vine is covered with small melons, two of my 3 tomato plants are producing small harvests, and the jalapenos are producing well. Wish I could say the same for the bells, HOWEVER, I did notice that the green bell has a teeeeeeny little start of a pepper, so it may be rallying for a comeback! But I have high hopes for the second bed. The borers are close to the end of their breeding cycle, the temps are still hot but not miserable and we are actually getting some decent lows at night to cool things down. I just may end up with LOTS of squash! Which is great, more to eat, more to freeze for the winter and more to share with friends!

No comments: