Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Jello-gate

My mother complained that most of my entries on this blog have to do with my children, being as I have a dedicated blog for them as well. But unfortunately, when you are a stay-at-home mom, alot of your observations have to do with your kids! Anyway, this one is just for you Mom, remember...you asked for it!

My mom came to town for Christmas as well as my in-laws. We were all set to have XMAS dinner at my place, since I am the one who cooks and actually has enough table space for a large group of people. Anyway, I had most of the dinner menu all planned out. The typical, ham, turkey, dressing, potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, pumpkin pie, you know...the goods! Anyway, for some odd reason Mom decided that XMAS dinner wasn't worth eating unless she was able to have a Lime Jello Mold. Yep, you read right, a LIME JELLO MOLD. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather eat my shoe than eat any form of lime jello, and I would certainly not entertain the idea of eating lime jello mixed with cottage cheese and pecans!! I tried to convince her that she would be the only one that would eat it, so why make it? But she HAD to have this thing. So we went to the store, got all the fixin's and on XMAS Eve morning began to prepare some of the food in advance, jello mold included. As it turns out, her recipe called for 2 packages of Jello, but she had only bought one. I suggested that maybe we bypass this "culinary delight" since we didn't have the proper ingredients, but this was not acceptable (too bad!). So I suggested that she go to the corner Walgreens to see if they had the Jello instead of going to the EXTREMELY busy HEB down the road. Well she said that her shoes were in the baby's room and she didn't want to wake her. So I offered her my slip on Nike flip-flops, but it was raining and she might get her delicate feet wet, sigh! So I'm thinking, "Mom...would you like ME (who has nothing better to do like laundry, vacuuming, food prep, housecleaning, etc...) to go out in the pouring rain to the corner Walgreens to look for the f**king lime jello, for that f**king lime jello mold that nobody is going to f**king eat?!?!" Of course the answer to my more toned down version of that question was "yes". So what did I do??? I slipped on my Nike flip-flops, I went out in the pouring f**king rain to go to the f**king Walgreens to find that f**king lime jello to put into that f**king lime jello mold that no one was going to f**king eat!

And when it was all said and done, my mother-in-law was the only person besides my mother to even have one helping of said Jello mold. Mom offered me a bite and I figured with as much trouble as I went to in order for that damn mold to be made I should at least try it. I know, you're thinking Green Eggs and Ham..."Say! I like lime jello in a pan! I like lime jello, Sam-I-Am!" But no. I would not eat it in a boat, I would not eat it with a goat, I will not eat it in the rain, or in the dark or on a train, in a car or in a tree, it WAS NOT good, NO good you see! So I would not eat it in a box or try to feed it to a fox, I will not eat it in a house or offer it to a hungry mouse, I would not eat it here or there, I WILL NOT EAT IT ANYWHERE! In fact, it tasted like a toilet mint, blah!

No comments: