Monday, September 08, 2008

Ernie makes some changes


As you all probably remember, I took in a LARGE tomato horntail caterpillar after finding him raping and pillaging through my tomato vine. And I'm sure you all wondered why in the world I would take in such a hideous, destructive beast and the answer was... good science! As a homeschooling mother you have to take any opportunity you get to teach your child something! And what a wonderful opportunity to have a science project pretty much dropped in my lap!

I did alot of research and came across an amazing man in Canada who raises silkmoths and has one of the most comprehensive sites on Sphingidae and Saturnidae moths. Please see: http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/danjansphinx.htm if you are interested in learning more about these amazing creatures. Anyway, after contacting Bill, I was told to put the caterpillar in an airtight container with foliage for him to eat. I was to change out the foliage every other day. The first couple of days, Ernie ate like a beast, and pooped like a beast, then one morning I opened the container and there was this stiff, slightly brown, dehydrated looking thing. Well, Ernie was obviously a goner! I contacted Bill and he said to poke it to make sure. Well, I was pulling out the tomato leaves and one brushed up against Ernie and that thing flailed around the cookie tin like it was possessed by the devil! I almost crapped myself! I'm not really squeamish when it comes to bugs, but when you're pretty sure something is dead and it flips out, it has a tendency to unnerve you a bit! At that point, I removed all the foliage, put in a clean paper towel and closed his lid. We checked on him once a day and within two days he had fully pupated into what is called a "naked" pupa and left a big wad of dry shedded skin, much like a snake. I left him alone for a few days, then I transferred him per Bill into a deep Tupperware container layered with damp paper towels, bubble wrap and dry paper towels. We are hoping he emerges within the next 4-5 weeks, otherwise, I will have to make special preparation for him to "overwinter" in my refrigerator! Ugh! That damn thing better emerge! Last thing I need is a pupated caterpillar in my fridge all winter!

Oh well... I just have to keep telling myself, "Great science, great science, great science!"

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

The sacrifices one must make for great science :)

Coolest mom EVER!