Friday, August 22, 2008

OK, seriously???

I went outside earlier to retrieve my recycling bins as storms are rolling through and the wind is bad. For some reason I noticed that there was a bunch of fluffy white stuff all over my Cypress Vine out front. So I pulled down one of the runners to investigate and the white fuzzy stuff was bugs! Little tiny bugs, all over the vine, covered in this strange white stuff. I figured it must be some type of early stage caterpillar, so I looked and looked at photos and descriptions on whatsthatbug.com but I found nothing. So just for shits and giggles, I typed "small, fuzzy white bugs" into the search engine and sure enough... MEALYWORMS! A sort of cousin to the aphid, and we all know how fond I am of aphids. But seriously, I have had the summer from hell in respect to garden pests in the veggie garden, but my front flower bed seemed all hunky dory, now this??? I mean seriously, what more am I going to have to endure this summer with my gardens? Are swarms of locusts and Africanized honey bees heading my direction?!?! Shit! It is just so aggravating to me, I have worked so hard to have something more than dying grass and burford hollies and I seem to be running into issues left and right here. I didn't have near this aggravation last year. Is it the drought? I always thought aphids didn't like severely hot weather. Either way, I am beginning to lose my patience and I'm seriously gonna start killing things soon!

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

Try watered down milk in a spray for the mealy bugs.