Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bad Ass Boots



As you all probably know, I attended the Boot and Saddle Maker's Convention in Wichita Falls, TX with my mother. It was nice, not really what I was expecting. I guess I had high hopes of hearing tales about my grandfather. I had many people tell me what a good man he was and what an amazing bootmaker he was, but to be honest, I already knew all that. I was happy that my mother was able to take me and the kids around and introduce us to her colleagues. I know how important it is for a grandparent to get the chance to show off those grandbabies! My son and I both donned our awesome boots and he was more than happy to hike up his pant leg to give folks a better look at the craftsmanship! He was very proud to tell people that his Grammy made them for him! Lucky kid, I don't know alot of 5 year-olds with custom made boots! Anyway, when I got home, I was inspired to get my boot collection out and take a couple of photos. Some of the boots were made by my grandfather... The Master, and others were made by my mother whose artistic take on boots is second to none. The first photo is my collection of boots, the second photo is my son's collection. Pretty impressive, right? Over the years I have always loved my boots, but I have to admit, after being at the convention and seeing the work of other bootmakers, it makes me proud that my boots were handmade with love by my mom and granddad and they are truly the best!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

WOW! It's hard to believe these boots are all handmade. They are really stunning. I want a pair! Heh, bet that would set me back a few bucks huh?

Little Mama said...

Just a few! My collection, had I actually paid for any of them, would have set me back around $15K. And although most of the stuff I have is flashy, she makes an amazing workboot, the type that if you re-sole and take care of them will last a lifetime! While at the convention there was alot of talk about how cowboy boots originated and how the cattle workers would sometimes pay 2 or 3 weeks salary to buy a good pair. It was a necessity. There is a documentary out called "Bodacious Boots" that discusses all that and the Americana involved with boots now. It was pretty interesting.