Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Little Things

Have you ever noticed that sometimes when life is all crazy and hectic, and you can barely remember to put deodorant on, and the kids are all noisy in the car, and it seems like your brain is just going to explode, that sometimes something completely small and what most might consider completely insignificant is just what you needed to make you realize that life is still OK?? This is what I experienced today.

While driving out of the parking lot at the big box retail hell, I caught a sight out of the corner of my eye that made me stop the car (luckily no one was behind me). On the branch of an old, dead tree in the field behind Target was a GORGEOUS red-winged blackbird with his wings spread out for preening. He was magnificent! Black as night with those crimson red shoulder tufts. He was such a contrast to the dead trees and dreary, cloudy sky that I just had to take a moment to marvel. He flew off and I shut my eyes for a moment, breathed a few deep breaths, put the car in drive and continued on my way with a sense that there is still beauty in the world, you just have to really watch for it!

No comments: