Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's been a long time!

Wow! It's been almost a month since my last post! Time flies with a baby, an active 5 y.o., a traveling husband, a broken toe, and remodeling! But now that I have things down to a dull roar, I have a few minutes to myself while someone is watching "Over the Hedge" and the little missy is looking out the storm door. There are a couple of things that have been on my mind for a bit. I will probably address them in two different entries as not to distract myself.

First things first, there is a big stink in the state of Texas right now over a bill they want to pass that requires voters to provide an ID with the voter registration card (to prevent voter fraud and the such). People are freaking out! I am not at all understanding what the big deal is. If I'm not mistaken, everytime I use my credit card I am asked for identification. I provide this information and we all go about our lives, happy as clams. I understand that even though it is a bit of a nuisance to pull the ID out of the wallet, it does, for the most part assure the company of my identity and henceforth allow them and myself a feeling of comfort that someone is not fraudulently using my card. Why is this any different for voting? I am fine with the state asking me to prove that I am actually the person on the voter registration card. Many of the groups that are beside themselves over this represent older citizens. What, do old people not have identification? I mean with the amount of paperwork and crap that an elderly person has to endure using medicaid and all that nonsense, I am sure they have to have SOME form of identification. Or is it just too hard for people to remember to bring identification to the polling place? Once again, have I missed something? If you were able to get in the car and drive to the polling place, then I would assume, as the law requires, that you would have some form of driver's license with you. And if you had to take public transit, I would assume you would need money or your bus pass which would most likely reside in your wallet where SOME form of identification would most likely be. So really...what is the big freakin' deal?? I guarantee that having to provide a piece of identification is NOT going to keep me from casting my ballot!

No comments: